This page is about how we collect and use personal information.
We collect personal information:
- to fulfil our statutory functions under the Electoral Boundaries Commission Act 1982
- for administrative purposes.
When collecting personal information, we will take reasonable steps to advise you:
- what information we seek
- why we seek that information
- whether any law requires us to collect the information
- any consequences of not providing the information.
Use and disclosure
We handle all personal information we receive in line with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014. We only disclose this information to government agencies, private sector organisations or anyone else if one of the following applies:
- the person the information is about has consented
- the person the information is about would reasonably expect, or has been told that, information of that kind will be shared with those individuals, bodies or agencies
- it will prevent or reduce a serious and imminent threat to somebody’s life or health
- it is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law, a financial penalty, or protection of public revenue
- it is required or authorised by law for another reason.
Please note that the Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) has legislated responsibility for supporting electoral representation processes for the Electoral Boundaries Commission (EBC); As such, it provides technical and administrative support. The VEC is also required to promote public awareness and understanding of electoral issues. You should be aware that any information you provide to the EBC will be shared with the VEC.
Data quality and security
We take all reasonable steps to make sure the information we hold is accurate, complete and up to date.
We use a range of safeguards, access controls, secure communication methods, and back-up and disaster recovery systems to protect your information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Information we hold is subject to the Public Records Act 1973 and must be disposed of under retention and disposal authorities.
Access and correction
How to make a privacy enquiry or complaint
You can make a privacy enquiry to us in writing or over the phone.
To make a complaint in relation to privacy, you can write to the Victorian Electoral Commission, who assist the EBC with technical and administrative support. If you are unhappy with the response, contact the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner. They may try to resolve the matter or suggest it is heard at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
VEC Privacy Officer
Telephone: 131 832
Address: Level 11, 530 Collins Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner
Telephone: 1300 006 842
Address: PO Box 24274, Melbourne Victoria 3001